Monday, December 7, 2009

No more blogging

I created a google group here:

from now on status messages and updates will be posted there. A blog is very much a one way form of communication, and I feel it goes against the collaborative nature of a wiki service. This group will be where problems and enhancements will be discussed.

If you are simply requesting a feature be added to, please use the uservoice page:

Monday, November 30, 2009

cueFlash now on Slicehost

After being on Dreamhost for a long time, I have switched for Slicehost. They have great uptime, cheaper prices, and allows you to do more geeky things with your webserver.

This isn't a big jab against Dreamhost though. I am still a big user of them, but their VPS service doesn't give me the configuration ease that I need. Too many times I am harassing their customer service to do X, where X would have been something I could do in 5 minutes with root access. If I were a more basic user (as I used to be) they would be golden, and most of my requests would go against serving basic users.

I will slowly be pulling bits and pieces of other sites (such as and constantsail) over to slicehost, and then just using dreamhost for subversion and domain registration management.

Some discount codes:
Dreamhost: RobKohr
Slicehost: upgrade has gone through a major upgrade over the last week. It has been moved to a new database system (mysql->sqlite) and has been upgraded from mediawiki 1.5.5 to 1.15.1. This is basically a 3 year jump in versions.

Some of the reasons for the upgrade:
*Stability - The massive MySQL db has reached its scaling limit
*Security - More up to date usually is more secure
*Extensibility - Many extensions that I would like to add were not available in the older mediawiki
*Portability - With the ability to use sqlite with the new mediawiki codebase, I can easily move wikis and their databases (sqlite databases are single files) from one server to another. I may be adding a feature where you can download your wiki and host it elsewhere or on a flash drive.
*Features - There has been many subtle changes over the years that I wanted to catch up on.

I probably have about 5 other bullet points. The hesitation has been partly due to the complexity in making the transition. The other reason was that until recently the sqlite support has been very much in beta.

The change upgrade has not been smooth. I have had web server config issues, database overloading issues (trying to export too much at once), and database syntax issues (the database systems use slightly different syntax which has caused many problems).

Most of the wikis are now imported correctly, but there are plenty that have errors or no content. I am revisiting them and seeing why they didn't transfer correctly. I am suspecting it is just syntax issues. If your wiki is not working ... DON'T PANIC. The original that I am working off has been untouched, and it is just a matter of finessing it so that it translates correctly. If your wiki has problems, please post the url to the wiki here:

Other things that are missing but will be added in the next week:
*Control panel to manage logo, wiki title, and permissions
*Cookie error when you log in (it shows the error, but really the login worked)
*Create wiki and create wiki page not available

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Character encodings for different languages now handles foreign characters properly (just tested cyrillic and french).

For those that are a little geeky, it seems that the php function htmlentities doesn't have a multibyte string version.

Monday, April 27, 2009

Server Errors

There have been a lot of server errors recently, and they are the result of system resources being overwhelmed (using up system memory and processor).

I suspect that this is due to another app I have been working on - a real time web game called

I am now setting up a separate server for the that game so that it's performance does not effect I expect it will be set up within the next 48 hours, and hopefully this resolves the issues.



This problem has been resolved and you should not see any more server errors relating to this problem. The app has been moved to another server.

Thursday, April 16, 2009


It seems that was attacked by a distributor of malware. I have reverted the site code that was modified and removed the offending code they added (they add iframe tags that make it so when you visit, you were also visiting their site in the background).

I have since changed the passwords on the servers, made a further backup of all data, and am switching the site to a separate account in case there is a compromise that still exists in the current account.

In the last 24 hours since the attack, google has labeled as a malware site, and I have requested a rescan of the site since it has been cleaned up.

I am uncertain as to the vector of the attack, so I am taking a number of simultaneous paths to close down possible holes.

If you would like to help, a great help would be to do a view source on any editthis wiki you use for the next couple days. If you see a hidden iframe on the page, just report it here:


Friday, July 11, 2008 coming soon

I am currently looking for users to beta test Island Warfare, which is a new game I am developing. In it you start with an empty island that you can build various types of buildings on, train soldiers, and sail off to conquer other players islands.

To sign up to become a beta tester go to: